The Pretty Price Check: Your Friday roundup of how much we paid for beauty last week.
- $60: What you’ll pay for 1.7 ounces of DKNY’s newest fragrance, Pure. Pretty By Nature notes that the bottle looks like a bottle of water (so pure, see?) and bills itself as containing pure (again!) Ugandan vanilla, because DKNY has partnered with CARE to support the women of Ugandan and raise awareness about global poverty. All fine and good except the press release doesn’t say how much of Pure profits are actually getting back to these poor Ugandan women. And the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep Cosmetics Database gives DKNY’s other perfumes a high hazard rating of 8 (out of 1o). All of which sort of undermines the purity test.
- $5 and under is what H&M is charging for each product in its new Ecocert-guaranteed organic bodycare line. I’m liking that everything is paraben and phthalate free, and while at those prices, it’s safe to say we’re not saving any vanilla-scented Ugandan villages here either, at least they aren’t pretending to be anything more than better-for-you beauty products on a budget.
- $1.3 million: How much California is fining Unilever, maker of Axe Body Spray because each container of Eau De Teen Boy emits levels of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) that exceed the state’s safety regulations. Along with, you know, smelling like death. (Via Grist.)
- 85 percent of models who walked in New York Fashion Week shows were white. Fewer than ten designers gave an opening or closing spot to a non-white model. (Via The Cut.)
- $5400: The price tag on eyebrow transplants. Yes, eyebrow transplants. Apparently our eyelash obsession has spread north. (Via BellaSugar.)
PS. Thanks to the very awesome women of Smith College’s Albright House, and CrazySexyLife for the blogroll love/mentions this week! (By the by, if I’m on your blogroll or you’ve mentioned BSP somewhere on the interwebs, and I haven’t thanked you/reciprocated in kind, do let me know at beautyschooled[at]gmail[dot]com. I’m mindful of manners that way.)